11/07/2012

Co-Washing

It's official I am a co-washing convert!

shampooing, co-washing, conditioner washing
{via}
 You're probably asking yourself what the heck co-washing is.  Co-washing, or conditioner washing, is exactly what you think it is, using conditioner instead of shampoo to wash your hair.  To be fair, you should know that I have long, thick, and curly/wavy hair, which gets dry and frizzy in the winter.  If I had my sister's fine and straight hair, that gets oily easily, I'm not so sure that co-washing would work as well on her hair type.  My interest in co-washing started when I heard about WEN by Chaz Dean.  After some researching, I've heard great things about this product for my hair type, I wanted to give it a try.  The only downside, their bottles cost $30 and you need somewhere around 16-24 pumps per wash.  At that rate I'd need a new bottle every month, and I'm sure the Mister wouldn't be thrilled with me spending $360 a year on a cleansing conditioner.  But the idea of using a conditioner to wash my hair, piqued my interest and after looking into co-washing further, I decided to give it a try.  Why co-washing is great for my hair-type: it wont strip hair of moisture, there are no harsh sulfates, it wont fade color, and it delivers the perfect amount of hydration.  So yesterday was my first day of co-washing, I decide to use Suave's Professional Conditioner in Rosemary Mint, it's budget friendly, smells fantastic, and I'm using it to wash my hair not condition it.  Another great drugstore alternative is L'Oreal's Evercream Cleansing Conditioner. So I hopped into the shower lathered up with the conditioner, rinsed everything out, used my regular conditioner at the ends and blow dried as usual.  The result: my hair was so soft, shiny/frizz free, and smelled great.  However, the real test for me was to see if my hair would get oily looking at the scalp.  It's day 2 and my hair is still soft, shiny, with no oil in sight.  I usually wash my hair every 3 days, trust me my hair is that dry in the winter, and I think that I'll be able to do the same with co-washing.  I also don't think I'll stop using shampoo all together, but rather use my sulfate-free shampoo once a week.  I'm officially hooked to co-washing.

No comments:

Post a Comment