Happy Halloween! Today's Tasty Thursday is both creepy and delicious. I love the way these blood splattered petit fours with sugar glass look. They're the perfect finishing touch to any Halloween dessert table, and will win you major kudos from your friends and family.
For the petit fours: - 1 frozen pound cake - 1 lb. powdered sugar - 1/4 cup water - 1/4 cup corn syrup - 1 teaspoon vanilla - Red food coloring
For the sugar glass: - 1 3/4 cups sugar - 1 cup water - 1/2 cup corn syrup - 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
DIRECTIONS: 1. Make the glaze by mixing powdered sugar, corn syrup, water, and vanilla together in a medium bowl. 2. Trim petit fours into cubes and dip into sugar mixture. Let dry on a cooling rack for 30 minutes. 3. Use chop sticks or a fork to dot petit fours with red food coloring for a blood-splattered look.
4. To make the sugar glass: combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat for about an hour until the temperature reaches 302 degrees F.
5. Remove from the stove and spread onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Use an offset spatula to gently spread mixture.
6. Let sugar glass cool for about an hour, and then break using a mason jar or other solid object. Be careful though! It’s sharp.
7. Grab a glass shard and use a basting or other pastry brush to paint red food coloring on the edges.
8. Place “bloody” sugar glass into a petit four and repeat with remaining cakes.