3/25/2013

Motherhood Mondays

So technically it's been 3 weeks that I've had the title of Mom, but I wanted to share a little of what I've learned thus far.


  1. Breastfeeding is a learned skilled.  Neither you or your little babe knows what to do, so give it some time and don't beat yourself up about it.  
  2. That being said it's a good idea to have a lactation consultant's number handy,  and invest in some nipple cream or lotion, I'm a fan of MotherLove's Nipple Cream
  3. You might not produce enough milk for your little one.  Again don't beat yourself up about it, I know it's easier said that done - from personal experience.  And although breast milk is best, don't let anyone make you feel guilty about giving your baby formula.  After all a hungry baby isn't a healthy one.
  4. Take help from your family and friends.  I went to WholeFoods with 4 hrs of interrupted sleep under my belt, only to walk into a display of breadcrumbs, knocking most of them over.  
  5. It's normal to be completely in awe of your little one, or to smother them in kisses, or just stare at them for hours.
  6. Expect to be delirious when your husband wakes you up for nighttime feeds.
  7. Although you might not be cleared to work out, walking is great stress relief, as is getting out of the house for a little while
  8. The same goes for hot showers, even if it's a 5 minute one.
  9. Enjoy every second of it, I can't believe our little man is 3 weeks old already, time flies!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I can relate to all of these things. I remember getting out to the store for the first time and feeling like a walking zombie, wondering if I was making any sense to the woman at the deli counter! Enjoy every minute. My little one is 16 weeks now and I'm already back at work. It feels so hard at first, but it flies by.

    ReplyDelete